Female Incontinence Specialist in St Petersburg FL
Over 25 Years of Experience Helping Women with Urinary Issues
It’s an embarrassing medical condition that affects many women throughout Pinellas County, but urinary incontinence doesn’t have to keep you from enjoying your life. Female incontinence specialist Dr. Meenakshi Jain offers a revolutionary treatment for urinary incontinence with InterStim®, an implant that fixes the messaging between your bladder and brain. For more information, call the office or Request an Appointment online.
Request an Appointment
What is urinary incontinence?
Urinary incontinence is a condition in which women near St. Petersburg and Tampa, FL don’t have full control over their bladder and experience an unexpected loss of urine.
The three main types of urinary incontinence include:
- Stress incontinence – a loss of urine when performing more strenuous activities like running or sneezing
- Urge incontinence – a sudden and strong need to urinate immediately before losing urine
- Mixed incontinence – a combination of both stress and urgency female incontinence
Most women Dr. Jain sees in the Tampa metro area have mixed incontinence.
What causes female incontinence?
Most Tampa women can experience urinary incontinence, but it becomes more likely with age, pregnancy, childbirth with vaginal delivery, and menopause. Neurological conditions, such as a spinal injury, brain tumor, Parkinson’s disease, or stroke can also trigger its symptoms. Temporary urinary incontinence is a common symptom of urinary tract infections.
Other risk factors include:
- Being female
- Family history of urinary incontinence
- Tobacco use
Temporary symptoms can stem from consuming certain foods and drinks such as alcoholic or caffeinated beverages, citrus fruits, chocolate, or spicy or sugary foods, or certain medications. Taking large doses of vitamin C can also cause symptoms.
Two of the main reasons why women may be experiencing urinary incontinence include:
- Their brain isn’t getting the right signal from your bladder alerting you that you need to urinate
- Their bladder sphincter muscles aren’t squeezing strong enough to hold the flow of urine
Both issues are common in most of the women seen by Dr. Jain.
Contact the Tampa and St Petersburg female incontinence specialist Dr. Meenakshi Jain at (727) 343-2568 to schedule your appointment today.