Heavy Periods Specialist in St Petersburg FL
If heavy menstrual bleeding has you changing tampons and pads too often or worrying about leakages, consider a NovaSure® endometrial ablation. Dr. Meena Jain provides compassionate care and expert treatment for women with heavy periods. Call the office to see if the procedure is right for you or request your appointment online.
What are the signs and symptoms of heavy menstrual bleeding?
Having a persistently heavy period is known as menorrhagia. You may have abnormal menstrual bleeding if:
- Your periods last more than a week
- Your period is so heavy that you can’t participate in regular activities
- Blood clots are larger than the size of a bottle cap
- Blood soaks a pad every hour
- You need to wake and change your pad or tampon in the night
- You have fatigue and/or shortness of breath
What causes heavy menstrual bleeding?
Gynecologists point to a number of conditions that contribute to heavy menstrual bleeding. Common causes include:
- Hormone imbalance
- Uterine polyps or fibroids
- Ovarian dysfunction
- Pregnancy complications
Heavy Menstrual Bleeding
What is Heavy Menstrual Bleeding?
1 in 5 women suffer from heavy menstrual bleeding. Many women begin to experience heavy and/or irregular bleeding in their 30s and 40s, as they begin to get closer to menopause. Heavy periods are more than just a hassle - they take a physical, social, and emotional toll as well.
Studies show heavy menstrual bleeding can affect women in a number of ways:
- Many feel tired and nauseated
- Many experience bad cramps
- Many have headaches
- More than 60% have had to miss social or athletic events1
- About 80% report avoiding sex1
- 33% have been forced to miss work2
- 77% have depression or moodiness1
- 75% feel anxious2
- 57% report a lack of confidence during their period1
Heavy periods are not something with which you have to live. Today, there are a number of effective treatment options available.
- National Women’s Health Resource Center. Survey of women who experience heavy menstrual bleeding. Data on file; 2005.
- Cooper J, et al. A randomized, multicenter trial of safety and efficacy of the NovaSure system in the treatment of menorrhagia. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc. 2002; 9:418-428.